Release DetailsLABEL Now Or Never
RELEASED ON 5/29/2001
All Else Failed
posted on 4/2002 By:
Goddamn, I don't even know where to begin with this one. However, before I set it out in the driveway and roll over it a few times with the car I'll do my best to give you an idea of what Archetype has to offer. Maybe that's a bit too harsh, but this is the first thing that comes to mind as I sit here and listen to this disc. Let's skip all the bullshit and get right down to it, shall we? Is it the drums? No, the drums are actually mixed and played pretty good. I mean, this is an attempt at modern hardcore with what seems to involve a nu-metal style of riffing from time to time, so how hard of a drum style is needed? Is it the guitar work? Absolutely not, although the riffs are simple and somewhat ineffective, there are moments in a couple songs where I get into the aggressiveness-meets-groove style these guys are reaching for. Is it the bass? No, the bass is following the guitars which in the long run doesn't do much for me, but it is tolerable. Is it the vocals? My word...I don't know what to say other than the fact that this has got to be one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard in my entire life. Maybe that's a bit too harsh, but..............I already went that route already, didn't I? Simple definition: This guy yells in the same tone 95% of the time; the other 5% he's using his clean style which to me is equally as annoying. I've listened to this disc maybe 2 1/2 times (this breaks my golden rule of always listening to albums 5 times all the way through before putting them under my dissective blade) and I just can't get into it simply because of the vocals. Don't get me wrong, the band underneath the mono-tone yelling style driving me crazy as I write this is actually mediocre and shows signs of possible future improvement. Nevertheless, I almost called up Diabolic and asked if I could stop by his place and listen to it on his system so I could use the karaoke feature on his receiver to mute the vocals. That way there might be a chance I could actually handle the music underneath. There are moments when the vocals are muted that this disc does offer possibilities of promise, then the vocals return and ruin the entire vibe for me. In conclusion, if I haven't made it clear already, the vocals on this disc are DOWNRIGHT AWFUL!!!!!!!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS DISC!!!!!! If you're a hardcore fan, there is a lot better shit out there than this. You might actually want to check out fellow label-mates Diecast. They have set the modern day standard for this style, and All Else Failed could learn a thing or two from them.
Register to post comments.